Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Remembering......


I was a freshman in college when the Vietnam War was beginning. Student, marriage, children, and critical skill deferments kept me in the US during these years. I had friends who went and never returned; friends who returned physically but were never quite the same afterwards, and friends who returned to jeering crowds yelling "Baby Killer" and other epitaphs. I had tried to put these memories behind me until a few weeks ago when they were brought poinantly home.

We were meeting a friend at the Portland, Oregon airport; her flight was unexplainedly delayed. We took a seat in the waiting area and were there just a few minutes when I noticed what I thought was a motorcycle club entering. They were dressed in jeans and each wore a denim vest with embroidery on the back that I was too far away to read. Most had long hair and some had greying ponytails; several were using canes and one was in a wheelchair. Each one was carrying a furled American Flag, full size. They formed into lines along each side of the hallway from the gate area to the waiting area. They just stood there as if waiting for something to happen. My wife asked me if something had happened but I told her that if it had there would be a TV crew there.

After about 15 minutes the group unfurled their flags; the leader was looking at a printed copy of a photograph. Passengers began to enter the waiting area. A young man dressed in civilian clothes and carrying a backpack approached the waiting area and the group came to attention, saluted, and then shouted "Welcome home soldier". People in the waiting area broke into applause. Members of the group came up to him individually and shook his hand, exchanging a greeting. A lump came into my throat then even as it is now as I write this. What a different greeting than these men had received when they returned for you see - they were a group of Vietnam veterans who have committed to meeting every returning US serviceman who arrives at the Portland airport. I have later learned that there similar groups throughout the United States.

We are living through troubling times but let us never forget to honor the men who are fighting for our right to live in a free country.

1 comment:

Isabelle said...

I’ve never had any family members or friends join a war so it is difficult for me to know the feeling of having lost someone. I really feel that unless a country has to be involved in fighting a war they should not send someone’s father, husband or son to war. The wars that are happening now are because one country wants to control what is happening in another country or the country want to be more powerful in the world. I don’t agree that world leaders are interested in being in control of other countries.